It is with a great deal of excitement that we can formally announce that registration for Newcastle Overnight 2014 is officially open.
We have endeavoured to maintain the somewhat anarchic spirit of the ride while working with an organisation which could provide insurance cover for both participants and ride organisers. We hope it doesn’t put anyone off the event (as the two blokes behind the event, we will still lose money running Newcastle Overnight, just this way neither of us will lose our house).
Thankfully, the Audax Club of Australia has been generous in incorporating the Newcastle Overnight Ride into their calendar of events. They are best know for the Audax Alpine Classic, but organise long-distance non-competitive cycling events around Australia year-round.
This does make some changes to the event format from previous years, which are listed as follows.
1. Participants are required to register pre-ride and, as in previous years, sign a waiver. There is a small fee associated with this, $6 for Cycling Australia or Audax Club Members or $16 for non-members (which includes the cost of a temporary membership).
2. Riders must satisfy a quick lighting check prior to the ride at Observatory Hill.
The lighting requirements are very basic:
- (a) two independent front lights and two independent rear lights must be available for use (i.e. attached to the bicycle or carried);
- (b) one of each must be fixed to the bicycle or to a secure accessory (e.g., a rack or saddle bag);
- (c) at night or at times of low visibility at least one front light (of fixed beam) and one rear light must be illuminated;
- (d) a rear red reflector must be permanently fixed to the bicycle; and
- (e) a reflective vest (or equivalent for a rider of a recumbent) must be carried and must be worn at night or at times low visibility.
Other than above, the ride remains essentially unchanged. It is still not a race, we encourage riders of all ages and abilities and steadfastly believe that riding 180km through the night is not really such a strange thing to do.
Tea stops run by our wonderful volunteers will likely remain unchanged, one at Mt. White, one just past the Entrance.
We will likely also run another pre-dinner and drinks at York Lane but details to be confirmed.
Prizes from Omafiets Dutch Bicycles, Cheeky Transport, Treadly Bike Magazine and Metro Cycles Newcastle, to be announced this week and will no doubt be wonderful.
3 thoughts on “Registration Open”
I know people hating having to sign up and pay for things, but even a ‘non-organised’ ride can carry risks. This sounds like a good compromise – the temporary Audax membership will provide insurance cover for riders for the day of the ride, and beyond the lighting and reflective requirements, there aren’t really any rules – just enjoy the ride! I’m really, REALLY hoping I can get along for this year’s ride – I hope it’s a case of third time lucky!
Of course it carries bloody risks, that’s what’s fun about it. It’s not the $$ I am whinging about, it’s the attempt to cotton wool the event in insurance.
Unfortunately, not all of us have that common-sense attitude.
There will always be those who need the bleeding obvious stated to them!
Remember that the organisers won’t want to have their financial lives ruined in the event of any mishap. I say: good move and happy to “pay to play”. It’s a very small investment for a large repayment in peace of mind for all concerned.